- Created on 26 September 2013
The Story of Maggie Scratcher and her famous Eggs.
Maggie scratcher lives with her friends in an open plan house that gives her plenty of space and sunlight. She gets to spend time scratching around with her friends and clucking about her eggs. When she feels broody she has a lovely traditional nesting box to retire to, and when she feels hungry there is plenty of lovely fresh food. This food is special because it is free from colourants and stimulants. So she only gets the best, most tasty food, whenever she is hungry. All this means that when you buy Maggie Scratcher eggs you are not only buying quality, but you are also buying into a way of farming that puts Maggie and her friends first.
Why Choose Maggie Scratcher Eggs?
* The Welfare of our birds is top priority!
- * The birds are with us from one day old.
- *Our packaging comes from a factory which uses recycled pulp to manufacture the boxes/trays, and these in turn are recyclable. The bedding in the sheds is recycled newspapers.
* No colourants are used in the feed; and this is why the egg colour varies sometimes, with the new season’s maize the yolks tend to be darker. We also feed freshly cut greens.
* Our feed is freshly milled and mixed everyday and most of the ingredients are sourced as locally as possible. It is free of animal by-products, and contains only grains and pulses with the addition of minerals and vitamins
* The birds live in large barns which are open sided to allow plenty of fresh air and sunshine and are able to scratch around and lay eggs in old fashioned nesting boxes, and have free access to food and water.
* Free rrange birds have access to an outside run and trees.
* As much waste as is feasible is recycled. The shed litter and green waste produced on the farm is used to produce Maggie Scratcher Organic Fertiliser.
* The new pack shed was designed to meet HACCP requirements.